School is out. How long before you hear “I’m bored!”? If you are like most families, it won’t be long.
Here are some ideas to have fun and keep the reading bug alive this summer from Reading is FUNdamental.
- Set aside some time to brainstorm with the kids and make a list of things to do. Then, when boredom sets in, you’ve got a go-to list in place.
- Make a chart where the kids record which books they’ve read.
- Share books with friends.
- Read a story about food and then recreate it in the kitchen.
- Plan a camping trip in the backyard with a friend. Make a list of everything needed to ‘survive’.
- Make a joke book. Collect jokes from friends.
- Make up a story. An animal has escaped from the zoo! Tell friends and family or write it down and add pictures.
This is just a start of all the free things you can enjoy during the summer. What is your own favorite ‘keep them busy’ activity?